The Shapiro Law Firm, LLC
Attorneys & Counselors at Law

The ESinQuire ™

Esquire + Inquire = ESinQuire

Redefining Expectations of the Legal Blog™

Case Status Updates: Green Card for Asylee, Work Permit Renewal Approval & Work Permit Replacement Approval

Case Status Update | The Shapiro Law Firm, LLC

Asylee Green Card Approval: The Shapiro Law Firm would like to congratulate 1 of our clients, (hereinafter, "Client X"), who was approved to adjust her status from an Asylee to a Permanent Resident! X is a native and citizen of The Gambia. X came to the U.S. on a B1/B2 Visitor Visa and overstayed a previous entry because she was afraid to return home. At age 18, her father was forcing her to marry her Uncle who was twice her age. When her father died, she felt it was safe for her to return home so she left the U.S. She subsequently married the man that she loved, but she began to have problems when she was unable to bear a child for him. Her husband's family physically assaulted her and ostrasized her for not being able to conceive. In 2011, she was fortunate in being able to secure another visitor visa to come back to the U.S., but when she got to the border, she was questioned about her previous overstay, was detained by ICE and given a credible fear interview when she expressed her fear of persecution if she was forced to go home.

She was released from custody after a few weeks and given an given a date to appear in immigration court . At the end of 2014, the Immigration Judge granted her application for Asylum. She then had to wait 1 year to apply for her Green Card, and she finally received her approval this week!

She now lives in Atlanta, GA, with her infant daughter (she was finally able to conceive thanks to fertility doctors). Since her Green Card was based on her status as an Asylee, X only has to wait 4 years to apply for her citizenship (instead of the normal 5 years).

Work Permit Replacement Approval: A work permit replacement was approved for our client who is a native and citizen of Nigeria, (hereinafter, "Client W"). W is married to a U.S. Citizen who filed a marriage petition on his behalf. W received his work permit based on his pending adjustment of status application. His employment authorization application was approved back in May, but despite the fact that the post office said that they delivered his EAD card to the correct address, W never received it so he had to pay to file for a replacement card (adjustment applicants are generally not required to pay a filing fee for an initial or renewal EAD card, but must for a replacement).

W had to also file a police report to submit with his replacement application. Unfortunately, we often have clients who do not receive their work permits or green cards because their mail is stolen right out of their mailbox. These are very valuable documents and there is a high rate of theft involved.

If this has happened to you, we can help! Many of our clients have these invaluable documents sent to our office and they then arrange to come pick it up in person. Contact us today if this happened to you!

Work Permit Renewal Approval: Another Work Permit Renewal granted to our client who is a native and citizen of Trinidad & Tobago, awaiting a decision on a cancellation of removal application for non-permanent residents (aka 10-year cancellation).

(*please note that all identification information has been removed in order to protect our clients' privacy and in order to fully comply with attorney advertising rules and regulations*)